Property Logo at Union at Wiley, Cedar Rapids, Iowa


What is the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Program?
Union at Wiley is operated under the Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program (LIHTC) which is an affordable housing program for households with lower incomes. The program was created by Congress in 1986 as part of the Tax Reform Act and is administered by the Internal Revenue Service. This program is not a subsidized housing program.

How do I find out if I am eligible for a Section 42 apartment?
You will complete an application that asks for information regarding income, household size, and financial assets. These factors determine your eligibility for this program.

If I am a student, do I qualify under the LIHTC program?
Units comprised of full-time students do not qualify as a LIHTC unit unless one of the following exceptions apply continually for the period of time that everyone is a full-time student:

- All adults are married and entitled to file a joint tax return.
- An adult member is a single parent with a minor child in the unit, the adult is not-a tax dependent of any third party, and the children are not claimed as a tax dependent by anyone other than one of their parents (even if the other parent is not in the unit)
- The household includes a member who receives welfare assistance in the form of Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF).
- The household includes a member who formerly received foster care assistance (that means they were a foster child or adult)
- The household contains a member who gets assistance from the Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA) or similar programs (NOTE: The “Workforce Investment Act” has replaced JTPA)

How is rent determined?
Rent guidelines are set by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) based on the median county income. Your actual rent is set by each property using these guidelines.

Do I have to verify my income every year?
Yes.  Every year you must re-certify your income and household size before you sign your renewal lease agreement.

Why do the limits vary from one property to another?
Annually, HUD reviews incomes in every county or metropolitan area across the United States.  They then publish the limits based on County Median Incomes.  We are required to use the income guidelines.

What is counted as income?
All of your gross income is included (Employment, Social Security, Pensions, Annuities, etc.)

How are assets counted?
Interest and dividends from assets are counted as income whether the interest or dividends are taken or reinvested.  Examples of assets include: Savings Accounts, Money Market Accounts, Certificates of Deposits, Stocks, Cash Value of Life Insurance Policies and Annuities.
If I meet income qualifications, do I automatically get an apartment?
If you qualify for the Section 42 apartment, your application will be further processed using resident screening policies and procedures.  Approval is subject to availability of Section 42 apartments.

Are utilities included in the lease?
Some utilities are included in the lease agreement. The owner pays for water, sewer, and trash removal. Residents are responsible for electricity, telephone, internet, and cable.

Are pets allowed?
Certain pets are permitted with a signed pet addendum and there is a monthly pet fee. Please contact us for more information.

Is parking available?
Parking is available. We also have carports available for rent.

When are my monthly rent payments due?
Rent is due on the first of each month.

How do I make my monthly rent payments?
Residents can make payments in the office or online through our resident portal.

Does the property have onsite-management?
Yes!   Our management team will be available during office hours.

What is an annual recertification?
Annually, residents at Union at Wiley are required to recertify their eligibility for the LIHTC program. This typically occurs during the lease renewal process. We will notify you 120 days before the lease expires to begin the recertification process.

How are maintenance concerns addressed?
Maintenance concerns may be reported through the resident portal, by email, phone, or in writing to the rental office. Residents will be provided an emergency contact number in case of emergency maintenance situations.